Paaige Turner named next Ball State CCIM dean

<p>CCIM dean candidate shares ideas for the college with faculty, staff and students in the Art and Journalism building March 27. <strong>Sara Barker, DN</strong></p>

CCIM dean candidate shares ideas for the college with faculty, staff and students in the Art and Journalism building March 27. Sara Barker, DN

Ball State recently named the new dean for the College of Communication, Information and Media, CCIM associate dean Lori Byers said.

Paaige Turner, a consultant for and former Executive Director of the National Communication Association, was announced as the selection via email and social media Tuesday.

Byers said Turner stood out from the other two candidates for CCIM dean because of her “enthusiasm” for the college’s innovation and student-centered focus.

Photo provided, Academia.edu

Turner’s knowledge of budget management also made her a strong candidate, Byers said.

“She has a lot of expertise in budgets and financial matters and financial strategy,” Byers said.

Turner, who earned both her master’s and doctorate from Purdue University, previously visited campus as part of the dean search process and to share her vision for CCIM.

At an open forum where she presented to faculty, staff and students March 27, Turner highlighted programs she felt were prospering in CCIM, such as immersive learning and its variety of concentrations.

Diversity and inclusion within the college were points Turner said she wanted to examine.

RELATED: CCIM dean candidate aims to highlight college's strengths

The other candidates who the dean search committee considered for CCIM dean were Terry Likes, professor and former chair of the department of communications at Tennessee State University in Nashville, Tennessee, and Brian Ott, professor and chair of the department of communication studies at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas. 

READ MORE: With first open forum, CCIM dean search nears home stretch

READ MORE: Final CCIM dean candidate emphasizes student experience

Turner will officially begin her new role at the beginning of the next academic year in mid-July.

Contact Sara Barker with comments at slbarker3@bsu.edu or on Twitter at  @sarabarker326.