Dean of College of Fine Arts to step down

<p><strong>Ball State University, Photo Provided.</strong></p>

Ball State University, Photo Provided.

Robert Kvam, dean of the College of Fine Arts, will step down as dean in December 2018 and retire in June 2019, according to a university-wide email.  

Kvam joined Ball State in 1997 as director of the School of Music. After becoming dean in 2000, he served for 18 years. 

He was a “visionary and model leader” said Marilyn Buck, interim provost and interim executive vice president for academic affairs in the email.

Kvam, who received University’s Outstanding Administrator Award fall 2017, increased scholarship support from donors and the Ball State University Foundation, Buck said.

Under Kvam “the college now enjoys three tremendously successful units: art, music, and theatre and dance,” Buck said. She said Kvam helped open a performance facility within the School of Music in 2004, that includes music engineering technology and a recording area.

Additionally, the School of Art opened The Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass in 2013. This creation led to graduate and undergraduate programs in glass. 

Outside of Ball State, Kvam conducted Muncie’s Masterworks Chorale from 1997-2007 and has been a National Association of Schools of Music evaluator since 1996.

Kvam earned his bachelor of arts in music education from University of Northern Iowa. Before Ball State, he taught at Whitman College and Illinois Wesleyan University.