Spectrum to host Spring Week events

<p><strong>Spectrum, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Spectrum, Photo Courtesy

This week marks the beginning of Spectrum’s Spring Week.

While Spectrum meets at 8 p.m. every Thursday, this week will be filled with multiple events to help further Spectrum’s mission of educating the community on LGBTQ issues, culture and history. 

Here are a few ways to get involved and learn more about Spectrum: 

Movie Night 

Where: L. A. Pittenger Student Center Multipurpose Room

When: 7 p.m. Monday 

“Kiki,” a documentary about LGBTQ youth of color in New York City, will be shown for free to kick off the week of events. Students are encouraged to bring blankets and pillows, as well as wear their pajamas. Free food will also be provided.

Cross the Line 

Where: L. A. Pittenger Student Center Forum Room

When: 7 p.m. Tuesday

This interactive activity will mainly be silent, but offer members of the community a chance to discover more about themselves and how they influence others.

Let’s Have a Kiki: How To Drag Workshop

Where: L. A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom

When: 7 p.m. Wednesday 

Spectrum will host a workshop teaching community members what it takes to be a drag performer. The workshop will discuss the different aspects of the performance including makeup, stage performance, and costume. The event will also offer free food. 

How to be an Ally: Bathroom Buddy Campaign

Where: Room 310 of the L. A. Pittenger Student Center

When: 8 p.m. Thursday

This event is being held to offer participants a chance to learn how to become an active bystander for the LGBTQ community. At the end of the event, those who agree to be an active bystander will receive a “Bathroom Buddy” button and more resources on how to help.

BBQueer 

Where: University Green

When: 4 p.m. Friday

Free food, games and music will be offered at Spectrum’s annual BBQueer. The event will take place regardless of the weather, with sunshine allowing the event to be held at the University Green and rain or snow moving the event inside the Multicultural Center. 

Cirque du So-Gay

Where: Ball Gymnasium

When: 7 p.m. Saturday

Spectrum will be hosting its semi-annual drag show Saturday. The event will include confidential HIV testing through the Muncie HIV Care Coordination and doors will open at 6:30 p.m. While the event is free and open to all ages, the proceeds raised at the show will be donated to the Trans Women of Color Collective.