Ball State alert issued after unwelcome suspect enters home

<p><strong>Mara Semon, Unified Media</strong></p>

Mara Semon, Unified Media

A Ball State alert was sent out Friday morning after a male entered a house near campus. 

Muncie police responded to a house in the 200 block of North Dill Street around 5:30 a.m., after an unknown male reportedly walked into the bedroom of another male who was sleeping. 

The suspect, described in a police report as an 18 to 25-year-old, 5-foot-10-inches, 180 pounds, with brown, curly hair and a scruffy face, "raised the covers" and "tried pull down [the victim's] shorts."

When the victim tried to grab the suspect, he ran out of the house.

The alert, sent out around 6 a.m., said Muncie police were in the area investigating.

An email alert sent out said, "the suspect entered the house through an unlocked door and is not known by the residents who live there."

Ball State University Police Chief Duckham said in an email, "UPD assisted the City on a call of a subject that entered a residence. The subject fled on foot.  MPD and UPD searched the area and were unable to locate the suspect."

Around 6:30 a.m., an all clear alert was sent out. 

The police report said the suspect, "didn't say anything, didn't seem intoxicated, and didn't brandish any weapons." The residents didn't believe anything was taken from the house.

UPD sent out a Public Safety Advisory Friday that included the following crime prevention tips:

• Make sure to lock all doors and windows when you leave.
• Check and make sure your doors and windows are locked before going to sleep.
• Use an alarm system if you have one.
• Be cautious with who you are sharing personal information with, including on social media sites.
• Make sure your outside lights work properly.
• If you see something, say something.

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @AndrewSmithNews.