More than 100 prom dresses to be donated to Muncie Central

<p>Over 100 dresses have been collected by a group of Ball State Students. On March 22 and 23, the dresses will be donated to Muncie Central students. <strong>Camille Breck, DN</strong></p>

Over 100 dresses have been collected by a group of Ball State Students. On March 22 and 23, the dresses will be donated to Muncie Central students. Camille Breck, DN

In a collaboration between Muncie Central High School and Ball State, a group of Ball State students are helping young women find prom dresses through an event called "Little Black Dress."

The group is part of Excellence in Leadership and has collected over 100 dresses within three days of donations. The dresses are all different sizes, lengths and styles. 

The leader of the group, Izzy Beebe, is hoping to build confidence in the young women who will get the dresses. 

“We just hope to build their confidence, so they can find a dress and be like, ‘Oh, I feel so pretty,’ cause that’s what prom is,” Beebe said. “You go to prom and you’re like, ‘I’m a princess for the night.’”

Beebe and her group coordinated the event by working with Drew Shermeta, a history teacher at Muncie Central. 

Shermeta is a class sponsor for the class of 2019, which means he is involved in making sure contracts get signed, events are organized, fundraising happens, and more. Last year, Shermeta said he saw many of his students skip prom because of how costly it can be. 

“Prom night as a whole is a big set of expenses,” Shermeta said. “To be able to take a bite out of just one piece of that, is really really helpful.” 

The dresses that are collected will be donated to Muncie Central on Thursday and Friday, giving Muncie Central students time to prepare for prom on May 12. 

Contact Camille Breck with comments at crbreck@bsu.edu.