Alumnus finds filmmaking opportunities, 'fulfilling' career in Midwest

<p>Alumnus filmmaker Mich Hannon is a visual effects supervisor for Blueline. He is currently working on the upcoming film, “Ms. White Light.” <strong>Mitch Hannon, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Alumnus filmmaker Mich Hannon is a visual effects supervisor for Blueline. He is currently working on the upcoming film, “Ms. White Light.” Mitch Hannon, Photo Provided

Ball State alumnus Mitch Hannon passed up the clogged streets, deafening noise and bustling walkways of the city to pursue his passion for filmmaking in Indiana.

As the visual effects supervisor for Blueline, a design agency in Bloomington, Indiana, that works with the Hoosier film company Pigasus Pictures, Hannon is currently working on the upcoming fall film, “Ms. White Light.” 

Hannon said his enthusiasm for film work started when he was 6 years old, working with his dad to create Star Trek parodies that starred his family as the crew of the USS Enterprise. 

“Whenever the ship got attacked, someone was standing by the light switch flicking it on and off, and we were all in our seats flailing around,” Hannon said. 

Hannon graduated from Ball State in 2015 with a degree in sales and promotion, but instead of traveling to New York or California, Hannon decided to settle down with his wife in Indiana.  

“I’m very much in a fulfilling and exciting career right now here in the Midwest,” Hannon said. “I have a lot of friends and colleagues who do have aspirations of going to those hot spots in film production. It’s great, but I think I just really want to have stability for family and doing what I enjoy doing.”

Mitch Hannon, Photo Provided

Working with Pigasus Pictures has allowed Hannon to participate in creating and editing many different films, including the 2017 award-winning feature “The Good Catholic.”  

“There’s so many talented people in Indiana,” said Zachary Spicer, cofounder of Pigasus Pictures. “When you’re a kid growing up in Indiana, and you dream of [being a filmmaker], [there’s] this idea you have to go to New York or Hollywood in order to work in that industry. 

“So one of two things happens: the realities of life weigh heavier than the dream of actually doing it … or you do and you have to uproot and leave your home and leave family and friends behind.” 

In Indiana, however, Hannon said he has learned a lot through his experiences that apply to any filmmaker pursuing their dreams. 

“Make things, and make a lot of things,” Hannon said. “Acknowledge that the first couple things you make should not be as good as the last couple things you make.”

Contact Adam Pannel with comments at arpannel@bsu.edu