Ball State softball falls to Saint Francis

<p>Senior right hander Carolyn Wilmes winds up for the pitch in the game against Central Michigan at the Softball Field at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on April 23 last season. <strong>Allye Clayton, DN File</strong></p>

Senior right hander Carolyn Wilmes winds up for the pitch in the game against Central Michigan at the Softball Field at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on April 23 last season. Allye Clayton, DN File

Starting off the ECU Pirate Invitational 2-0, Ball State softball (7-3) opened up its Saturday schedule with a matchup against Saint Francis (8-5). The Red Flash came in off shut out wins against Canisius and East Carolina yesterday.

The game was scoreless until the third inning when Junior Kassidy Troxell hit a single to put the Flash up 1-0. A fielding error by the Cardinals gave the Flash a 2-0 lead. Going into the bottom of the third, a double from freshman Hailey Demnianiuk brought freshman Katie Jangia home to get the Cardinals on the board. That was the only score from the Cardinals in the game as the Red Flash added two more runs in the fifth to take the game, 4-1.

On the mound, junior Aeshia Miles pitched four innings, allowing four runs off six hits. Sophomore Alyssia Rothwell pitched the last two innings. Rothwell allowed one hit and struck out four.

The Cardinals will take on the East Carolina Pirates next. That game is scheduled to start at 12:30 p.m.

Contact Jack Williams with comments at jgwilliams@bsu.edu.