Ball State softball finishes undefeated at Troy Cox Classic

Junior pinch runner Aeshia Miles runs to third base during the second game of the double-header against Northern Illinois on April 4 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Ball State won the first game 3-2 and the second game 6-4. Emma Rogers, DN File

Seeking to escape the wet and cold weather in Indiana, the Ball State softball team headed to New Mexico for the Troy Cox classic, only to be met with the same exact weather conditions.

Ball State's (5-2) Friday games against No. 1 Oklahoma (6-1) and Boston (4-4) were cancelled to due inclement weather. On Saturday, however, Ball State completed a tournament sweep beating both Boston and New Mexico State (3-3). 

The player of the weekend would likely go to sophomore Janae Hogg, who crushed two game-winning home runs over the fence this weekend. Hogg’s first run would come in fifth inning against Boston to break the 3-3 tie and eventually give the Cardinals a 6-5 win. The next home run came in the night cap against New Mexico State to break a 2-2 tie and give Ball State the eventual 3-2 victory.

In the first game, senior Carolyn Wilmes pitched the majority of the contest, allowing six hits and five runs. Against the Aggies, junior Aeshia Miles played her first full game on the mound, earning a victory and allowing two runs while striking out five.

The Cardinals may have missed out on two games this weekend, but they left New Mexico with a 2-0 record. The team will head down to North Carolina next weekend to take on East Carolina, Canisius and Saint Francis in the ECU Pirate Invitational. The Cardinals will open up this upcoming weekend against the Golden Griffins at 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 23 against Canisius.

Contact Jack Williams with comments at jgwilliams@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @jackwilliamsBSU.