Ball State knocks off rust in day 1 of Yestingsmeier Match Play

Ball State held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Jan. 27 to introduce the new Earl Yestingmeier Golf Center to the public. Mearns was one of the four speakers to address the building. Eric Pritchett, DN

Ball State men’s golf split its two matches in the first day of the Earl Yestingsmeier Match Play at the Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club in Dade City, Florida. 

In its first match, Ball State came out victorious against Drake, but lost to top-seeded Miami (Ohio) later in the day. The Cardinals won five of the six matchups against the Bulldogs. Timothy Wiseman led Ball State’s scoring, winning five more holes in his individual matchup with Drake’s Drew Ison, clinching victory with four holes remaining.

The Redhawks bested the Cardinals, winning four matches to two. Both Wiseman and Jack Cunningham won their matches against Miami by three holes a piece. The pair were the only two Cardinals to win both of their matches on the first day of competition.

Earl Yestingsmeier Match Play finishes up tomorrow as Ball State takes on Eastern Michigan for third place. Tee times begin at 8:15 a.m.

Contact Ben Schueren with comments at bpschueren@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @benschueren.