Ball State softball falls in season opener to Memphis

Head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett talks with junior second baseman Maddy Labrador before her turn at bat during the second game of the double-header against Northern Illinois on April 4 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Ball State won 6-4. Emma Rogers // DN File

Ball State softball dropped its season opener to Memphis (2-0) 5-1 on Friday afternoon in Fort Myers, Florida.

Senior right-hand pitcher Molly Smith got the win for the Tigers, going all seven innings and allowing seven hits. Junior Aeshia Miles took the loss for the Cardinals (0-1), giving up all four earned runs over six innings pitched.

Sophomore Kennedy Wynn knocked in Ball State's lone run in the fourth inning. Her single brought home freshman Hailey Demnianiuk to get the Cardinals on the board.

Memphis senior shortstop Kyler Trosclair had a pair of hits to lead her team's offensive attack, including a triple.

The Cardinals outhit Memphis 7-6 in the loss and had 13 base-runners in the game but left 12 of them on the diamond. A pair of Ball State players reached base safely twice, including sophomore designated hitter Janae Hogg, who recorded a pair of singles.

Next up, Ball State plays LIU-Brooklyn on Saturday. Start time is scheduled for 4:45 p.m.

Contact Sam Barloga with comments at sabarloga@bsu.edu or on Twitter @SamBarloga.