Amplify encourages student involvement, explain platform points

<p>Kyleigh Snavely, secretary, Jalen Jones, treasurer, Matt Hinkleman, vice president, and Isacca Mitchell, president of Amplify during the 2018 All Slate debate hosted by the Student Government Association at L.A. Pittenger Student Center on Feb 18. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN</strong></p>

Kyleigh Snavely, secretary, Jalen Jones, treasurer, Matt Hinkleman, vice president, and Isacca Mitchell, president of Amplify during the 2018 All Slate debate hosted by the Student Government Association at L.A. Pittenger Student Center on Feb 18. Eric Pritchett, DN

To contact Amplify about concerns, reach out onTwitter, Instagram or Facebook @Amplify2018.

While few students were in attendance, the running executive slate Amplify encouraged student input in the 2018 Student Government Association (SGA) elections at the All Slate Debate Sunday.

Amplify Slate Members, including Isaac Mitchell, president; Matt Hinkleman, vice president; Kyleigh Snavely, secretary; and Jalen Jones, treasurer, emphasized they want their campaign to focus on the student body.

“At the end of the day, there is only one slate running. We are not treating this as a political campaign, but as an opportunity to actually hear what the students want,” Mitchell said. “I encourage students to just let us know what we need to change on Ball State’s campus.”

Additionally, Hinkleman said Amplify’s goal are to simply amplify the voice of students.

“If you have any concern you want to voice, please tell us,” Hinkleman said. “We want to hear as many opinions as we can. ” 

Besides encouraging student input, Amplify discussed their plans for various platform points. Here are some key takeaways from the debate: 

Platform point: Work toward a LGBTQ resource center

Mitchell said a LGBTQ resource center could either be a seperate building on campus or it could be added on to current resources on campus.

While Amplify members have yet to talk to administration regarding the center, their main goal is to get conversation started and possibly implement it into the university’s five year plan.

“Even if the resource center ends up coming five years down the road, or ten years, then it would still be successful to us,” Mitchell said. “It goes back to a fable I know. You plant the seed so people way beyond you will be able to sit in the shade.” 

Platform point: Shuttle buses to Farmer’s market, football games and downtown Muncie 

Snavely said Amplify members have met with Sue Weller, director of facilities business services and transportation regarding shuttles between campus and three locations.

Amplify members said they think all three shuttles are feasible. Snavely has experience with shuttles as she implemented one to the Farmer’s Market as a senator last fall. 

She said she would like to implement more regular shuttles within the next academic year. he shuttle would ideally run up to six times in a semester.

Jones said in the past the Athletics Department funded a shuttle for students to take to Scheumann Stadium. Amplify would like to restart this shuttle service.

“Being a former athlete, support is huge. It’s nothing but love to have students support athletes. But a lot of the time, it is a long walk for students to get to football games,” Jones said. “Even if SGA had to 100 percent finance football game shuttles, we could pay it. But we would like to work with the Athletic Department if possible.”

Shuttles to downtown Muncie have not been done before, Jones said. However, Amplify members said they are confident they can establish one . 

Platform point: Host events to raise awareness about sexual assault and alcohol abuse

Mitchell said he would like to partner with the organization Step In. Speak Up. in order to host events and help educate students on topics such as sexual assault and alcohol abuse. However, Amplify members have yet to contact the organization.

Additionally, Hinkleman said he wants to host an event at freshman orientation in order to help raise awareness. 

“Every freshman has to go to freshman orientation. But, currently there is nothing like this there,” Hinkleman said. “To get the freshman off to the right start at Ball State, this would really educate them to the fullest extent so they come to Ball State with the right mindset.”

Platform point: Extend Bracken Library’s weekend hours

Hinkleman said they have been in contact with the Matthew Shaw, dean of Bracken Library, about extending the weekend hours.

He said Shaw is open to a test pilot of the weekend hours next semester. Hinkleman said they would try extending the hours to various times to see which times students would use most.

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.