Ball State softball opens ECU Invite with pair of wins

Junior pinch runner Aeshia Miles runs to third base during the second game of the double-header against Northern Illinois on April 4 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Ball State won the first game 3-2 and the second game 6-4. Emma Rogers, DN File

Ball State softball (7-2, 0-0 MAC) opened play in the ECU Pirate Invite Friday afternoon with a pair of wins over Canisius and East Carolina. 

Ball State's first win of the day came against Canisius (1-10, 0-0 NEC) and the win can be credited to its performance on the mound. Ball State senior right-hander Carolyn Wilmes held the Canisius offense to just three hits in her six innings pitched. 

On the other side, the Cardinal's offense backed up Wilmes on the mound as Kennedy Wynn crossed the plate twice in today's first contest. The Cardinals went on to ultimately beat the Golden Griffins 2-0. 

In the night slot, the Cardinals faced the tournament hosts in the form of the East Carolina Pirates (6-6, 0-0 American). This was the first meeting the Cardinals will have with the Pirates this weekend. Ball State right-handed junior Aeshia Miles had the hot hand in this game as she gave up just six hits and only one run in six innings. 

Sophomore outfielder Haley Dominique led the offensive charge for the Cardinals as she knocked a home run over the fence to spark a four-run rally in the seventh inning that would result in a 4-1 victory for the Cardinals. 

Ball State will compete in another doubleheader on Sunday Feb. 24 with the game against Saint Francis slated for 10 a.m., followed by a matchup against East Carolina at 12:30 p.m. 

Contact Jack Williams with comments at jgwilliams@bsu.edu.