Ball State men’s tennis opens season on road, falls to Indiana

<p>Marko Guzina won in straight sets during the match against Eastern Illinois' Gage Kingsmith on Jan. 22 in Muncie's Northwest YMCA. Guzina won both sets 6-0 and 6-2. <strong>Grace Ramey, DN File</strong></p>

Marko Guzina won in straight sets during the match against Eastern Illinois' Gage Kingsmith on Jan. 22 in Muncie's Northwest YMCA. Guzina won both sets 6-0 and 6-2. Grace Ramey, DN File

Ball State men’s tennis went on the road for its season opener against Indiana today. The Cardinals lost the match to the Hoosiers, 6-1.

In the doubles matches, the Cardinals were able to win two out of three sets. Doubles partners junior Marko Guzina and Conner Andersen won at Flight 2. Also, freshman Chris Adams and junior Tom Carney won at Flight 3 doubles, which would be the only point Ball State earned against Indiana.

In the singles matches, the Hoosiers won all six sets. Two of the matches that stood out were Adams in the fifth Flight against freshman Brandon Lam and freshman Thibault De Negri in Flight 3 against sophomore Bennett Crane.

Adams lost the first set to Lam, 6-3, but came back and won the second set (6-3). Adams forced a tiebreaker set and won by two. Adams came up short in the third set, losing in heartbreaking fashion to Lam, 16-13.

De Negri also came up short in his Flight 3 match against Crane, who took both of the sets (6-3, 6-4).

Ball State will have its home opener on Jan. 20 against Eastern Illinois at the Northwest YMCA and on Jan. 21 against Belmont. Both matches are set to start at 1 p.m.

Contact Patrick Murphy with comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu.