Community events scheduled to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

<p>Unity March participants turn south and head down McKinley Avenue back towards the Multicultural Center on Jan. 16. The Unity March is a part of the 37th annual Unity Week hosted by Ball State University and the city of Muncie Ind. <strong>Kyle Crawford, DN File</strong></p>

Unity March participants turn south and head down McKinley Avenue back towards the Multicultural Center on Jan. 16. The Unity March is a part of the 37th annual Unity Week hosted by Ball State University and the city of Muncie Ind. Kyle Crawford, DN File

The Muncie community is coming together to host events in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. While not every event will be hosted Monday, each is meant to promote togetherness and acceptance. Here is a list of a few of the activities taking place during this holiday weekend. 

Muncie Symphony Orchestra Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Day Concert 

The Muncie Symphony Orchestra will be performing with the Voice of Triumph gospel choir and the Southside Middle School band in a Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Day Concert at 4 p.m. Sunday. The concert will be held in Southside Middle School’s auditorium, located at 1601 E. 26 St., and is free to the public. The MSO Instrument Petting Zoo, where children are able to try instruments, will be available before the concert, as well as arts and crafts. 

Ball State Unity Week

The 38th annual Unity Week celebration includes a variety of events planned by Ball State staff and leaders of student organizations to help unify the community through “social, cultural and educational events.” Here is a list of the events taking place during Ball State Unity Week:

Monday

• At 9 a.m., a community breakfast will be held in the Student Center.
  • From 11 a.m. to noon, the Unity March will take place, beginning at the Multicultural Center. Community members will march in remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and to encourage community unity. 

Tuesday

• At 7:30 p.m., professor and civil rights leader Jasmine Rand will be speaking in Pruis Hall as part of the MLK speaker series. Rand was also the attorney for the families of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. Her speech will be centered around the “Modern Civil Rights Movement.” 

Wednesday

• At 6:30 p.m., Step Up and Spectrum will host a student-led panel called Consent, Culture and Conversations in room 301-302 of the Student Center. The panel will discuss individual experiences with sex education, rape myths and the culture of consent. 
  • At 7:30 p.m., a Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Concert will be held in Sursa Hall featuring poetry, music, spoken word and dance. 

Thursday

• At 6 p.m., the Tunnel of Oppression, which includes seven interactive booths, will be in the Student Center Ballroom. The booths will allow students to experience forms of contemporary oppression.

Friday

• At 6 p.m., Latinopalooza, a non-competitive talent show hosted by the Latinx Student Union, will be held in the Student Center Ballroom.

Saturday

• At 3 p.m., the film “Marshall,” which follows Thurgood Marshall through his challenges as a lawyer for the NAACP, will be played in Cardinal Hall in the Student Center

Sunday 

• At 7 p.m., a Unity Pageant will take place in Pruis Hall. The pageant started in 1968 and crowns a Mr. or Miss Unity. 

The Boys and Girls Club of Muncie

The Boys and Girls Club is hosting a number of events for community members of all ages to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Each age group is invited to participate in specialized activities throughout the day. Here is a list of activities being offered on Monday: 

K-6th grade

• From 9-10:30 a.m., a breakfast will be held for children in the Unity Center, located on 1600 S. Madison St. 
  • From 10:30-11 a.m., a children’s march from the Unity Center to the Boys and Girls Club will take place.
  • From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., lunch will be served and activities will be hosted at the Boys and Girls Club, located at 1710 S. Madison St. 

7th - 12th grade 

• From 9-10:30 a.m., a breakfast will be held for children in the Unity Center located on 1600 S. Madison St. 
  • At 10:30 a.m., students will board a MITS bus and travel to the Ball State Unity March.
  • From noon to 1 p.m., a Youth Empowerment Session will be held in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom. A free lunch will be provided.

Adults 

• From 9-10:30 a.m., a community breakfast will be held in Cardinal Hall of the L.A. Pittenger Student Center.
  • At 11 a.m., the Unity March will begin at the Ball State University Multicultural Center. Participants are encouraged to arrive by 10:45 a.m.
  • From 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., a community job fair and adult empowerment workshop will be held in the Alumni Lounge and rooms 301 and 303 of the L.A. Pittenger Student Center.
  • From 1-3 p.m., a food giveaway will be held in the Unity Center.

All Ages 

• At 6 p.m., an MLK Community Celebration worship service will take place at Union Missionary Baptist Church, located at 1100 N. Macedonia Ave.