Friday Night Filmworks returns for the spring semester

<p><strong>StarWars.com, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

StarWars.com, Photo Courtesy

Every semester, the University Program Board hosts Friday Night Filmworks, giving students a chance to see a feature film every Friday night in Pruis Hall. 

Showings begin at 9 p.m., and all Friday Night Filmworks are free for students. Students are allowed to bring guests, but they must be ages 16 and older and pay $1. 

Here is a list of the movies that will be shown this semester:

“Wonder”

Jan. 19 

August Pullman’s first day of 5th grade also means his first day attending a “mainstream elementary school.” Because of his facial differences, Auggie struggles to fit in in with the rest of the community. This movie, based on a New York Times best-selling book, follows Auggie as he changes the lives of those around him.

“Murder On The Orient Express” 

Jan. 26

Based on a novel written by Agatha Christie, this mystery drama features Johnny Depp, Daisy Ridley, Josh Gad, Michelle Pfeiffer and Penelope Cruz. When a passenger is murdered on the same train famous detective Hercule Poirot is traveling on, he puts his skills to the test and tries to identify the killer out of a group of strangers. 

“A Bad Moms Christmas”

Feb. 2

This holiday-themed “Bad Moms” movie centers around three moms, played by Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Kathryn Hahn, who are rebelling against Christmas. These under-appreciated and overworked moms decide to take a break from making sure their families have the perfect Christmas and instead redefine what makes the season special.

“Thor: Ragnarok”

Feb. 9

After being imprisoned and forced to fight a gladiator match against the Hulk, Thor must fight to save Azgard from the evil Hela. Without his hammer, Thor must face a series of struggles in order to save his home once again.

“Justice League” 

Feb. 16

Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash team up to save the world from Steppenwolf. Throughout their journey, the Justice League faces unexpected turns and gains the help of new allies.

“Coco”

Feb. 23

In this Disney-Pixar animated movie, an aspiring musician named Miguel dreams of becoming like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz, regardless of his family’s ban on music. Wanting to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the Land of the Dead searching for his great-great-grandfather, who was a famous singer.

“Jumanji”

March 16

When four teenagers are sucked into a video game, their only escape is to win. Playing as the avatars from the game, the group struggles to survive throughout this jungle adventure movie. 

“Pitch Perfect 3”

March 23

The Barden Bellas take the opportunity to participate in an overseas tour, where they compete one last time against a new set of rivals. During the USO tour, they meet groups who use their voices and instruments, and find themselves in many odd situations.

“The Greatest Showman”

March 30

This film, which features Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron and Zendaya Coleman, is an original musical that pays tribute to the birth of show business. In the movie, Jackman plays P.T. Barnum, a man who creates a show that becomes known around the world. 

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” 

April 6

In the latest “Star Wars” film, Rey learns about her abilities with the help of Luke Skywalker, while the the light and dark sides prepare to battle once again. 

“Frog Baby Film Festival”

April 13

This annual, student-run film festival is free and open to the public. This year, faculty will judge films submitted under the theme “The Ball of the Century: A 1920s Masquerade.”

“Insidious: The Last Key”  

April 21

This horror film, which will be shown in the Student Center Ballroom, follows parapsychologist Elise Rainier, who receives a call with a startling warning: her home is haunted. 

Audience Choice

April 27

On the final Friday of Friday Night Filmworks, a film will be shown that was chosen by the audience.