Ball State women's basketball outlasts Akron

Junior guard Carmen Grande passes the ball to a teammate at the game on Monday, Nov. 13 against Missouri State in John E. Worthen Arena. Grande came from her hometown of Madrid, Spain to play at Ball State. Andrea Cooper, DN

Make it three in a row for the Ball State Cardinals (14-1, 3-1 Mid-American Conference).

The Cardinals came back from a second quarter deficit to defeat the Akron Zips (6-9, 0-4 MAC) 74-61 on Wednesday evening.

After jumping out to an early 18-6 lead, Ball State was outscored by double digits from that point until the halftime break as Akron led through most of the second quarter.

Coming out of the break, the Ball State defense swarmed the Akron offensive attack, not allowing a basket for over seven straight minutes, and would hold a 51-44 edge after three quarters.

The Cardinals used a quick start in the fourth quarter to expand their lead back to double figures to close out the Zips.

Four Ball State players reached double digits in points, led by senior forward Moriah Monaco with 23. Junior guard Carmen Grande nearly posted a double-double with 10 points and eight assists.

Next up, Ball State comes back to Worthen Arena to host Buffalo (11-3, 2-1 MAC) on Saturday at 2 p.m.