Muncie woman who shot and killed 17-year-old will not face charges

A woman was shot outside of Tuppee Tong Thai restaurant on Aug. 31.  Andrew Smith, DN File
A woman was shot outside of Tuppee Tong Thai restaurant on Aug. 31. Andrew Smith, DN File

Shortly after a sentencing hearing for a family member ended, a 17-year-old was shot and killed outside of a downtown Muncie restaurant.

Allayza Jackson was pronounced dead at the hospital after being shot by Marilyn Wilson outside of Tuppe Tong Thai restaurant in the afternoon of Aug. 31.

RELATED: Muncie teen fatally shot outside Tuppee Tong Thai restaurant

On Monday, Delaware County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Eric Hoffman released a report and said Wilson will not face charges, saying she acted in self defense. 

Shortly before the shooting took place, Deshaun Jackson was sentenced to 25 years on conspiracy to commit burglary and attempted burglary charges. 

Jackson broke into and entered Wilson's home with an accomplice, where one of them allegedly put a gun to Wilson's head. 

According to the report, after Deshaun Jackson was sentenced, members of Jackson's family "were observed yelling and screaming" on the plaza of the Delaware County Justice Center. 

An investigator from the prosecutor's office was also present and heard someone yell to  Wilson, the victim who testified for the state, "somebody's going to get shot." 

Court security officers escorted Wilson and another male to their car in the area of Washington and Franklin streets. 

Wilson was in the passenger seat of the car when another car with Allayza , her mother Karlis Jackson and a juvenile, parked next to Wilson's car in the parking lot of Tuppe Tong Thai Restaurant.  

The Jackson's and the juvenile got out of their vehicle and began yelling and beating on the Wilson's car, according to the report. . 

The male driver of the vehicle tried to pull away from the situation, but was unable to do so because Allayza Jackson was standing in the way. 

That's when Allayza  moved to the passenger side of the vehicle and punched Wilson in the face. When Allayza tried to punch Wilson in the face again, Wilson pulled a weapon from her purse and shot Allayza  once in the chest. 

RELATED: Shooting victim remembered at vigil in downtown Muncie

After shooting Allayza, Wilson went to the Muncie Police Department to turn herself in and give police her weapon. 

When Karlis was interviewed by police, she provided "untruthful and deceptive statements to the officers," denying anyone hit WIlson's car or punched her in the face. 

She later admitted they were hitting the car and Allayza Jackson punched Wilson in the face. 

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @AndrewSmithNews.