Muncie Police investigating reports of shots fired on Beechwood Avenue

<p>Muncie Police Department responds to reports of shots fired on Beechwood Avenue on Friday, Dec. 15, 2017. <strong>Andrew Smith, DN</strong></p>

Muncie Police Department responds to reports of shots fired on Beechwood Avenue on Friday, Dec. 15, 2017. Andrew Smith, DN

Muncie Police are continuing to investigate this morning after an overnight shooting just east of the Ball State campus.

Muncie Police Department, University Police Department, Indiana State Police, Muncie Fire Department and Delaware County EMS were dispatched to the 800 block of Beechwood Ave. just before midnight on reports of shots fired. 

When police arrived on the scene, they found a 20-year-old man shot in the arm. Police say the victim underwent surgery and is expected to survive. 

Police have made no arrests and have identified no suspects at this time. However, Muncie Police Capt. Joe Todd said investigators did get a vague description of two college-aged black males who were near the scene.

The victim and people at the scene told police they had not seen the two men before.  

Muncie Police said the shooting appears to be a “drug deal gone bad” and there was a transaction of some kind. Todd said police found “baggies” everywhere and there was a strong smell of marijuana. 

If you have any information, you can call Muncie Police Investigators at (765) 747-4867 or Crime Stoppers at (765) 286-4050.

This story will be updated.