Cornerstone to host Winter Hafla and Fundraiser

<p>Ball State's Belly Dancing Club will be taking part in Cornerstone Center for the Art's Winter Hafla and Fundraiser on Saturday. The event will being with two workshops. Kaiti Sullivan, DN</p>

Ball State's Belly Dancing Club will be taking part in Cornerstone Center for the Art's Winter Hafla and Fundraiser on Saturday. The event will being with two workshops. Kaiti Sullivan, DN

Cornerstone Winter Hafla and Fundraiser Prices: 

• $10 "All About the Arms" workshop  
  • $10  "Veil Combos with Liz" workshop 
  • $7  to attend the gala show  

Cornerstone Center for the Arts is collaborating with several groups, including Rebellyon Dance Troupe and Ball State’s Belly Dance Club, for the annual Cornerstone Winter Hafla and Fundraiser Saturday. 

The event will begin with two workshops, “All About the Arms” from 2-3 p.m. and “Veil Combos with Liz” from 3:30-4:30 p.m.

Jenny Smithson, a belly dance instructor at Cornerstone, is teaching “All About the Arms,” where she will give participants tips on how belly dancers communicate with the audience through arm movements while keeping them “pretty, graceful and strong.”

“I think arms are a dead giveaway, when you watch someone dance, of how much experience they have in dance,” Smithson said. “A lot of times they’ll be concentrating so hard on the hipwork and footwork that they forget about their hands and their arms.”

Liz Wray, a belly dance instructor at Motus Dance Theatre in Indianapolis, will then teach participants how to incorporate a veil into the dance.

After the workshops, a silent auction will take place from 6-7 p.m. and will include items and gift certificates from places like Hot Heads, Mary Kay, Unique, Pixie Dust, Casa Del Sol, Dandelions and more. There will also be individual donations of various belly dance items such as coin scarves and belts, dresses, skirts and veils  to be auctioned.  

From 7-9 p.m., there will be a gala show with performances from several different belly dancing groups, including Rebellyon and Cirocco, which are led by Smithson. 

During the show's intermission, the silent auction will open bidding again to continue to raise money, which will go toward scholarships that Cornerstone provides throughout the year. 

Contact Alona Krantz with comments at amkrantz@bsu.edu