Ball State women's basketball dominates Lipscomb, improves to 3-0

Ball State junior guard Jasmin Samz drives the ball in during the Cardinals’ game against Lipscomb on Nov. 15 in John E. Worthen Arena. Ball State won 84 to 46. Paige Grider, DN

For the first time in over a decade, Ball State women's basketball is 3-0.

With its 84-46 victory over Lipscomb on Wednesday evening, Ball State achieved its best start since 2006.

It was defense that once again paved the way to victory for the Cardinals, as the Lady Bisons were held to their lowest point total of the season.

Lipscomb shot just 29.6 percent from the field and Ball State forced 26 turnovers. The Cardinals also used their height advantage to dominate the Lady Bisons down-low, outscoring them 34-10 in the paint.

"Really proud of this group and with their focus over the last few days," head coach Brady Sallee said. "It was tremendous getting ready for this team."

That advantage also led to a 16-9 Ball State advantage in offensive rebounds and junior forward Destiny Washington recorded four blocks.

RELATED: Ball State women's basketball crushes Lipscomb in the paint

Junior guard Carmen Grande nearly had her second straight double-double, recording 16 points, eight assists and a season-high six steals.

"We just got to keep building," Grande said. "You may look at stats, but we look at other things and we know we have to keep getting better on our stuff. But definitely, other teams aren't doing well against us and that keeps us going, so we just have to keep building and getting better."

Grande was one of three Cardinals to reach double figures, being joined by Washington and senior forward Moriah Monaco. 

Wednesday's game went far differently than last year's contest between the two schools. Last season, Lipscomb beat Ball State 78-74 at Worthen Arena. 

The Cardinals also shot a season-high 44.4 percent from the field, and shot 9-for-27 from beyond the arc. The offensive explosion led the Cardinals to outscore the Lady Bisons in all four quarters and put up their highest point total of the season.

"We came out and played some really, really good basketball from start to finish," Sallee said. "Proud of them and we earned a day off tomorrow, that's for sure."

Now it's off to Tennessee to play Vanderbilt, as Ball State will look for its first victory over a power five school in two seasons.

Tip-off for Monday's game against the Commodores is set for 1 p.m.

Contact Sam Barloga with comments at sabarloga@bsu.edu or on Twitter @SamBarloga