Ball State women's basketball defeats Vanderbilt, moves to 4-0

<p>Missouri sophmore, Shameka Ealy, watches senior forward Moriah Monaco attempt a 3-pointer on Nov. 13 in John E. Worthen Arena. Monaco led the team with 21 points. <strong>Andrea Cooper, DN</strong></p>

Missouri sophmore, Shameka Ealy, watches senior forward Moriah Monaco attempt a 3-pointer on Nov. 13 in John E. Worthen Arena. Monaco led the team with 21 points. Andrea Cooper, DN

Ball State (4-0) shot a season-high 51.8 percent from the field and senior forward Moriah Monaco led the game with 26 points to help Ball State beat Vanderbilt (0-4) 88-79 on Monday afternoon.

The Cardinals outscored Vanderbilt in three of four quarters and pulled away late to seal their first victory over a power five school since beating Iowa on March 17, 2016. It also marks Ball State's first 4-0 start since 2006. Vanderbilt is 0-4 for the first time in program history.

Junior guard Carmen Grande impressed, scoring 21 points and dishing out 13 assists, both season-highs. It was her second double-double of the young season.

Ball State owned the glass, out-rebounding Vanderbilt 43-27, and 16-12 on the offensive glass. All this as Ball State was without junior forward Destiny Washington, the team's leader in rebounds.

Freshman forward Oshlynn Brown helped the Cardinals make up for Washington, as she grabbed a career-high 16 boards to go along with her eight points. 

Vanderbilt never led in the game, and only tied it once: at 19-19 in the second quarter. The Commodores would get within one at 43-42 in the third quarter, but the Cardinals responded with a 11-3 run to retake a nine-point lead.

The Commodores shot 45.2 percent on the game, and were led by sophomore guard Cierra Hall who racked up a team-high 25 points and five rebounds to help keep Vanderbilt in it. 

Next up, the Cardinals conclude their road trip to the Volunteer State with a matchup against Tennessee State. Tip-off is scheduled for Wednesday at 2 p.m.