Ball State women's basketball crushes Lipscomb in the paint

Junior guard Carmen Grande brings the ball down the court during the Cardinals’ game against Lipscomb on Nov. 15 in John E. Worthen Arena. Grande scored 16 points. Paige Grider, DN

Ball State dominated the inside game as it cruised to an 84-46 victory over Lipscomb on Wednesday evening.

The Cardinals made the most of their height advantage, scoring 34 points in the paint and only allowing the Lady Bisons 10.

“We talked about [it] at half-time, let’s pound that thing inside because we got a big advantage there,” Ball State women’s basketball coach Brady Sallee said. “We kind of lived down there on the block and played from the inside-out.”

Ball State made it a mission to crash the boards, grabbing 16 offensive rebounds, which led to 15 second chance points and 18 more shot attempts than Lipscomb. 

The Lady Bisons shot under 30 percent from the field and shot a miserable 8-for-28 from inside-the-arc.

The Cardinals only allowed the Lady Bisons 9 offensive rebounds and gave up no second chance points. 

“Aggressiveness, there was a real difference there,” Sallee said.

Ball State led 45-38 in total rebounds.

Ball State senior forward Destiny Washington caused a lot of problems for the Lipscomb offense with four blocks on top of her 12 points.

“I just knew that if I stopped my man then everybody else would stop theirs and we can just be locked in come together and get the win,” Washington said.

The Cardinals will travel to face Vanderbilt Monday at 1 p.m. 

Contact Daric Clemens with comments at diclemens@bsu.edu or on Twitter @DClemens_