2018 Gildan Charleston Classic field announced, includes Ball State

<p>Members of the men's basketball team huddle up under the basket during the game against Alabama State on Dec. 22, 2016 at Worthen Arena. Ball State won 73-48. <strong>Breanna Daugherty, DN File</strong></p>

Members of the men's basketball team huddle up under the basket during the game against Alabama State on Dec. 22, 2016 at Worthen Arena. Ball State won 73-48. Breanna Daugherty, DN File

Before Ball State men's basketball team finished this year's Phil Knight event, ESPN confirmed the team's participation in another event next year.

Ball State was one of eight teams selected for the 2018 Gildan Charleston Classic along with Alabama, Appalachian State, Davidson, Northeastern, Purdue, Virginia Tech and Wichita State. 

While Ball State is in the midst of a tough travel stretch after accepting a late invitation to the Phil Knight Invitational event, head coach James Whitford said that the Cardinals participation this year would open them up to future events, this presumably being one of them.

The event, held between Nov. 15-18, 2018 is a week-long tournament held at TD Arena in Charleston, South Carolina. It is one of 11 college basketball events that is hosted by ESPN.

Three opponents on Ball State's 2017-18 schedule, including in-state rival Indiana State, Mid-American Conference opponent Ohio and the team's season-opening opponent Dayton, are playing in this year's tournament. 

Details on this year's tournament can be found here.

Contact men's basketball reporter Robby General at rjgeneral@bsu.edu or on Twitter @rgeneraljr.