Pay Less stores set to open December, March

Kroger will be opening two new Pay Less stores on West McGalliard Road and Tillotson Avenue within the next several months, said Eric Halvorson, Kroger spokesperson, in an email. 

The superstores will open in the plazas where the Marshes used to be. 

The Kroger company bought out 11 Marsh locations around Indiana when Marsh filed bankruptcy earlier in the year, according to the Star Press

Halvorson said the McGalliard Road location is expected to open Dec. 15, and the Tillotson location is expected to open in March. 

Kroger is also designing these Pay Less stores to offer the ClickList shopping service. 

ClickList is a program Kroger created so Pay Less customers can order their groceries online and pick them up in store or have them delivered to their doorstep. 

“We intend to provide the best shopping environment, the best selection and best prices,” Halvorson said. “By doing that, Pay Less will be the preferred destination for grocery shoppers in Muncie.” 

The closest Pay Less is located in Anderson, Indiana, which is also the location where new employees are being trained. The location began hiring in early October. 

Despite beginning the hiring process nearly a month ago, Cardinal Career Link does not have this location listed as a job posting yet. 

James Mitchell, the associate director for employer relations at the Career Center, said there are multiple reasons as to why Kroger hasn’t reached out to post these open positions. Mitchell said he would contact a Kroger representative to see if they are looking to post these positions on Cardinal Career Link. 

Kroger will host job interviews for these positions from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at the Innovation Connector, and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 18 at the Kennedy Branch of the Muncie Public Library. 

Contact Hannah Gunnell with comments at hrgunnell@bsu.edu.