Cornerstone Center for the Arts to host Holiday Show and Sale

Samantha Brammer, DN File
Samantha Brammer, DN File

The Youth Symphony Orchestras of East Central Indiana and 32 vendors are partnering with Cornerstone Center for the Arts in the third annual Holiday Show and Sale Friday.

Jessie Fisher, director of communication and education at Cornerstone Center for the Arts, said this event is a great way to begin shopping for the holiday and support local artists, crafters and small businesses. 

"Many of the vendors have their own operations, but to have one large audience all at once is huge for their business," Fisher said. "Many of the attendees are meeting and learning about these businesses, artists [and] crafters for the first time, which leads to long-term customers."

Wendy Carpenter, who opened her painting business Chromatic Endeavors in 2012, has been a vendor every year. 

"This event has been great to me. I have given out hundreds of business cards, sold several paintings and gotten complete strangers to like my Facebook page," Carpenter said. "Friends and family are one thing, but when a stranger comes along and likes what I'm doing, it's a great feeling."

Cornerstone's partnership with the Youth Symphony Orchestra, however, is new this year. 

Four different groups of the Youth Symphony Orchestra will perform at 7 p.m., including the Prelude Orchestra, the Intermezzo Orchestra, the Youth Symphony Orchestra and the Chamber Program.

"This will be the first benefit concert we've presented in recent memory, but even more important, it will be a chance for us to reach a wider audience and potential student musicians who may not be aware of our existence," said Tiffany Arnold, executive director of the orchestra. 

Throughout the night donations will be accepted, and all events will conclude at 9 p.m.

Contact Tier Morrow with comments at tkmorrow@bsu.edu.