Big Brothers, Big Sisters to host annual Art for Kids' Sake event

Tickets for this event start at $30 and can be purchased online

On Nov. 11, the Big Brothers, Big Sisters Organization of Delaware County will be holding their fourth annual Art for Kids' Sake event at MadJax.

The funds made from this 21-and-older event will be used to support and possibly expand the mission of BBBS in the near future. 

"It's really almost like a party with a purpose," said Sue Godfrey, executive director of BBBS. "The money will not only support the organization as a whole, but we also intend to double the number of children we serve within the next two years."

The event , which takes place from 6:30-10:30 p.m., is themed to bring attendees back to a 1920s speakeasy.

"This year is a super fun theme and a great venue," said Wynde Ashman, BBBS board member and coordinator for the event. "Live art demos, interactive displays, art for auction and artistic performances from a cappella groups to live dance lessons to a band for entertainment at the end of the night. 

"There will be clothing from the 20s and prohibition in the air as far as the décor goes."

Food will be provided by various groups from the community, including Guardian Brewery and various activities will be offered to attendees. 

"Our artists, the ones we have attending, are not traditional artists," Godfrey said. "There's a typewriter poet, a man who makes and sells custom guitars, we even have a teacher who's going to teach people to swing dance."

With this event, Lindsey Speer, BBBS board member and associate director of orientation and new student enrollment at Ball State, said the community will be able to see the art and culture hidden within Muncie. 

"We want them to realize the incredible and talented artists, musicians and caterers we have within our community and how fortunate we are to live in Delaware County," Speer said. "We live in an area that is thriving, but also has great potential to do even more."

Ashman said she hopes community members are able to have a fun night and learn more about the community and BBBS' role in it.

"We solely want to provide a fun event for our guests, to show them just a little bit more about what BBBS is doing in our community," Ashman said. "At the end of the night, we want to say it was a success and we are just a little closer to our goals and providing more mentoring matches." 

Contact Justice Amick with comments at jramick@bsu.edu.