Ball State women’s swimming to compete against Toledo, Oakland

Senior Andrea Richter finishes the 400 Medley Relay during the meet against Ohio on Oct. 28 at Lewellen Pool. The Cardials lost 114-185. Rebecca Slezak, DN.

Ball State women's swimming and diving will travel to Toledo on Saturday for its third meet of the season. With just two meets under their belts, the Cardinals are looking promising as they progress into the 2017-18 season.

The season began at Indiana Intercollegiate on Oct. 21, where Ball State beat out Evansville, DePauw, Rose-Hulman, Indiana Wesleyan, Valparaiso and Manchester to take first place scoring a total of 624 points. 

Head coach Kristy Patterson is pleased with the results she's seen from her team so far.

“We did see a ton of time drop from a few weeks earlier," Patterson said. "Even considering the shortened meet line up."

Ball State took the win for a handful of individual events and in both relays.

Moving right along with its season, Ball State hosted its first dual meet last week against Ohio. This was the team’s first 16-event lineup of the official season and provided the opportunity for more distance events and stacked relays. While both teams faced challenges with the digital timing system, the competition level was high.

Senior captain Amanda Kedzierdki found a positive in the situation, as she recorded her second win of the season in the 100 breaststroke (1:04.96) to become the highest ranked Cardinal.

“I almost think it takes the pressure off a lot of people because they are really focused on time," Kedzierdki said. "When you take that element away and people don’t know where they’re going, I think it allows them to focus on their race strategy more. It’s an interesting concept,” Kedzierdki said.

In addition to many successful races, freshman Caitlin Locante led the divers, scoring a 177.60 and 228.75 on the one and three meter dive.

Ball State will head to Toledo, Ohio, Saturday to take on Toledo and Oakland. The meet is slated to start at 1 p.m. 

Contact Kami Kleefisch with comments at kckleefisch@bsu.edu.