Ball State women's basketball head coach Brady Sallee extends contract through 2022

Head coach Brady Sallee disagrees with a referee in Ball State’s 71-58 loss to Indiana on March 16. The Cardinals were eliminated from the Women’s National Invitation Tournament in the loss. Colin Grylls, DN File

Ball State women's basketball head coach Brady Sallee has signed a contract extension that will take his coaching career into the 2022 season. 

Ball State University Director of Athletics Mark Sandy announced Sallee's extension on Tuesday, to mark the third time in four years that Sallee has been awarded a contract extension. The last one was in 2015. 

"I am thankful for President Mearns, Director of Athletics Mark Sandy and all of our administration for their support and commitment to women's basketball at Ball State University," Sallee said in a press release. "My family and I are happy to call Muncie home and to continue our small part of making Ball State the special place it is."

Sallee lead the Cardinals to their fifth straight appearance in the Women's National Invitation Tournament last season. Ball State also finished the season 21-0, marking only the sixth time in program history that Ball State has recorded 20-plus wins in a season. 

Now entering his sixth year as the women's head coach, Sallee became the first coach in program history to accomplish back to back 20-plus wins in a season. In the 2015-16 season, the Cardinals went 22-10 and in 2016-17, they posted a 21-10 record. Ball State also made its 27th appearance in the MAC Tournament as the second seed in the 2016-17 season under Sallee.

Overall, Sallee has recorded a 231-183 career coaching record, including his eight years as the head basketball coach at Eastern Illinois. Sallee sits at a 95-68 coaching career record at Ball State. 

Contact Kara Biernat with comments at karabiernat@gmail.com or on Twitter at @karabiernat.