Ball State competes in Purdue Invitational for 2nd time this season

Junior Marko Guzina attempts to hit a ball back against IUPUI on April 12 at Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. Guzina lead late in the second set by 4-3. Patrick Murphy, DN File

Weekend Schedule

Friday: 

Butler vs. Ball State singles at 7 p.m. 

Saturday:

IUPUI vs. Ball State singles at 11 a.m.

Purdue vs. Ball State singles at 5 p.m.

Sunday:

Doubles all three rounds at 9 a.m.

Ball State men’s tennis is preparing to compete at its second Purdue Invitational of the season.

In comparison to the first time competing at Purdue, this time around will have fewer teams and only four players will be represented by each team. Head coach Bill Richards said this tournament is "perfect for four guys" to compete in.

Ball State will be facing a trio of familiar in-state rivals in Butler, IUPUI and Purdue. 

The players competing at Purdue are players who aren’t in the top six of the lineup. Richards is using this tournament as a chance for those players to prove themselves.

“It will be good to see how our guys fare against other players that didn’t play in the regionals last weekend,” Richards said. 

Junior Tom Carney is one of those players for this weekend. In preparation for the weekend, Carney has been working hard to improve on his footwork while on the court. 

“It gets my timing right for my forehand and backhand,” Carney said. “I’m really excited and look forward to playing this weekend."

Rounding out the Ball State roster this weekend are junior Collin Rigney, sophomore Luke Wiese and freshman Khamasi Muhiga. 

“I’m giving them an opportunity to get some more matches in this weekend,” Richards said. "This will be a good chance to do so before we head to MAC indoors."

The matches will on the Basham Courts at Schwartz Tennis Center. The team will face Butler in singles play at 7 p.m. today and both IUPUI and Purdue on Saturday. Doubles play will be on Sunday starting at 9 a.m. 

Contact Patrick Murphy with comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu.