Men’s golf sees defending MAC champ Kent State for first time in Hawaii

Senior Michael Makris swings at the ball on hole 11 during the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Invitational on April 14 at the Delaware Country Club.  Makris lead the Cardinals 69 and 71 in his first two rounds. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File
Senior Michael Makris swings at the ball on hole 11 during the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Invitational on April 14 at the Delaware Country Club. Makris lead the Cardinals 69 and 71 in his first two rounds. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File

Ball State men’s golf team closes out its fall season this weekend, as they head to Lahaina, Hawaii for the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic. 

The tournament not only carries importance because of another competitive field with 10 of the top 100 golf teams in the country, but it is the first time this season that Ball State is competing against defending Mid-American Conference Champion Kent State.

Head coach Mike Fleck says that the experience of his players at this tournament should allow his players to keep up the momentum of their last tournament, and allow the team to finish the fall off strong. 

“Four of these guys have made this trip [to Hawaii], so they know what to expect,” Fleck said. “I have full faith that they are going to be prepared for this weekend.”

While Fleck is confident in the preparation he's seen from his team, the week of practice its had has been tough. While they continued to play practice rounds, the team has been plagued by the weather that has rolled into Indiana. With the bad weather, however, the team has taken a different approach to prepare for Hawaii. 

“The guys have been putting in a little more time on their own” Fleck said. “They’re getting some quality practice time in areas they need to work on, in order to be successful in Hawaii.”

The Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic is today through Sunday at the Royal Ka’anapali in Lahaina, Hawaii. Tee times start at 8:30 HT, 2:30 ET.