University Council committees make progress

<p>University Council met Oct. 19 to hear updates from committees and communicate progress made. As always, students are welcome to attend the next council meeting 4:00 p.m. Nov. 16 in the David Letterman Communication and Media Building room 125. <strong>Sara Barker, DN</strong></p>

University Council met Oct. 19 to hear updates from committees and communicate progress made. As always, students are welcome to attend the next council meeting 4:00 p.m. Nov. 16 in the David Letterman Communication and Media Building room 125. Sara Barker, DN

At the University Council meeting Thursday, no measures were approved nor votes placed, but committees announced work they have been doing to move council initiatives along.

Some of the early initiatives set in motion by committee are:

Athletics

Lola Mauer, chair of the athletics committee, said it wants to improve relationships between graduate assistants involved in athletics and faculty.

The committee is looking to improve the “incredibly vague” policy of sports teams’ graduate assistants, said one committee member.

Mauer explained the policy for these students outlines ways to handle conflicts between sports and classes. However, the committee would like to improve the policy, making it more specific to how the two parties communicate timing issues such as like weekend-long invitationals. 

International Programs

Diane Calvin, chair of international programs committee, said it is continuing to look into improving and promoting the international studies minor.

Publications and Intellectual Properties

A substitute for the chair of publications and intellectual properties committee said it is reviewing how applications for research are submitted and reviewed.

Using Blackboard discussion boards is one possibility, said the chair’s substitute, to approve or deny research proposals.

Research

Scott McFadden, chair of the research committee, said that the committee will no longer be reviewing the responsible conduct of research.

This is in response to federal guidelines that instruct universities to conduct research responsibly. Last year, some members of University Senate felt Ball State should be able to expand upon the rules set forth.

McFadden said he talked with Jennifer Weaver, the officer of responsible conduct of research in the office of research integrity, about the matter.

“She feels, at this point, that the current policy is sufficient,” he said.

Later this month, the committee will appear before the senate agenda committee and discuss ending progress on this issue.

Out of committee: Governance restructuring

Tiffany Peters, chair of University Council, said she and other council members met with Kathy Berryhill and President Greg Carbó from the Student Government Association to discuss governance restructuring.

Right now, both SGA and university governance are researching how to best reorganize roles and responsibilities within their respective chambers.

As always, students are welcome to attend the next University Council meeting at 4:00 p.m. on Nov. 16 in the David Letterman Communication and Media Building room 125.

Contact Liz Rieth with any comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth. Contact Sara Barker with comments at slbarker3@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @sarabarker326.