Delaware County, Muncie receives road grants

<p>The Indiana Department of Transportation warns travelers of construction changes during commutes over Labor Day weekend. The holiday weekend is one of the busiest times for highway travel in Indiana. <strong>Indiana Department of Transportation, Photo Provided</strong></p>

The Indiana Department of Transportation warns travelers of construction changes during commutes over Labor Day weekend. The holiday weekend is one of the busiest times for highway travel in Indiana. Indiana Department of Transportation, Photo Provided

Delaware County has received $662,880 through the Community Crossings grant program, according to State Rep. Greg Beumer. 

Over $150 million has been awarded to Indiana cities, towns and counties through the Community Crossings Matching grant program, which was started in 2016. 

“These grants help our local communities move forward with important road and bridge projects,” Beumer said in a press release. “A strong infrastructure is not only the foundation to a strong economy, but necessary to maintain motorist safety.”

The grants are available through the Indiana Department of Transportation because of legislation supported by Beumer in 2016.

“I am pleased with the number of local officials in my district who applied for the Community Crossings grant,” said State Sen. Doug Eckerty in a release. “Now, we are one step closer in tackling our local infrastructure needs.”

This funding is an addition to the funding for INDOT from Indiana’s Next Level Roads plan

Next Level Roads is an initiative from Gov. Eric Holcomb that invests in transportation infrastructure. 

Next Level Roads plans to use $30 billion over the next 20 years to improve the conditions of existing roads and bridges – both state and local, according to Natalie Russell, press secretary at Senate Majority Communications Office.

Muncie received $770,550, Marion County received $531,460 and Madison County received $670,000, according to INDOT.

A list of Indiana cities, towns and counties that received funds through Community Crossings can be viewed here

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.