Ball State women's golf looks to improve as it closed out the fall season

Freshman Holly Anderson tees off on Sept. 19 during the Cardinal Classic. The Cardinals competed against over 20 teams. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File

Ball State women’s golf wrapped up its fall schedule with a 15th overall placement in the annual Cardinal Cup tournament hosted by Louisville on Sunday. 

With a score of 957, the Cardinals rounded out the bottom of the leaderboard in their final fall match. 

Again leading the Cardinals was sophomore Manon Tounalom who finished 19 over par and tied for 51st place. Also competing were Sydney Anderson (+24), Reece Malapit (+28), Liz Kim (+29) and Morgan Nadaline (+30). Although every player added at least two birdies a piece, the Cardinals still struggled to keep scores low. 

“It just didn’t quite come together for us,” head coach Katherine Mowat said.

Although Mowat was not very pleased with this tournament’s outcome, she is looking forward to working out over the off season and getting better as a team. 

“We are really going to hit our off season training in the weight room,” Mowat said. “We will go over a lot of our number and stats and put a plan together as far as where we are and where we need to be, as well as how we are going to get there."

Leading the tournament through day one of play on Saturday and winning it on Sunday was Louisville who finished 13 over par. Louisville was followed by Illinois (+21) and Wisconsin (+28). 

The Cardinals will work to improve in their short off season, before teeing off again in February as they will host the Ball State Sunshine Invitational in St. Lucie, Florida. 

Contact Drew Pierce with comments at dpierce33cc@gmail.com.