Ball State men's tennis returns this weekend from month-long break

Junior Ball State tennis player Tom Carney plays against Eastern Illinois players Jared Woodson and Freddie Ammer in the match on Jan. 22 at Muncie's Northwest YMCA. The Cardinals won 6-1. Grace Ramey, DN File

Weekend Weather

Friday: Partly Cloudy (High: 72*F; Low: 56*F)

Saturday: Sunny (High: 81*F; Low: 70*F)

Sunday: A.m. Showers (High: 71*F; Low: 46*F)

After a month off from competition, Ball State men’s tennis returns this weekend for the Louisville Invitational. This week, practices have been shortened due to weather. But head coach Bill Richards said the weather hasn’t affected them.

“Tuesday, we got an hour and a half in, before we got rained out,” Richards said. “But it isn’t a problem.”

It will be the Cardinals' first time at the Louisville Invitational. Richards has spent the fall season doing a lot of evaluating for the upcoming spring season.

“I have been seeing who’s moving in the right direction and who’s not,” Richards said. “Also, in the back of my mind, I have started to formulate who's going to be on the lineup come January.”

From this evaluation, Richards said that the freshman class has shown a lot of promise.

“I would say that all the freshmen have looked pretty good so far,” Richards said.

One of those freshmen is Bryce Bonin. At Purdue, Bonin managed to place second in the Flight D singles bracket, losing to Lope Adelakun in two sets (1-6, 7-5, 6-4). Bonin said his strategy to win Flight D this weekend is to stay patient.

“I just need to play my game and rely on what my coaches are telling me to have success this weekend,” Bonin said.

For double partners junior Tom Carney and redshirt freshman Luke Wiese, the duo has been working on big serves and keeping high energy when playing. Wiese said the main thing for Carney and him is to come off serve.

“I have to hold my serve and Tom has to continue to be aggressive at the net,” Wiese said.

At the Purdue Invitational, the pair finished second in the Flight C bracket, losing to a pair from Butler. For the Louisville Invite, Carney said he wants to keep being mentally tough.

“With a player like me, I need to be mentally right,” Carney said.

The invitational starts at 9 a.m. with doubles play first, at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.