Ball State matches record low 54-hole score in route to second at Old Dominion

<p>Junior Michael Makris swings at the ball on hole 11 during the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Invitational on April 14 at the Delaware Country Club. Makris lead the Cardinals 69 and 71 in his first two rounds. <strong>Kaiti Sullivan, DN File</strong></p>

Junior Michael Makris swings at the ball on hole 11 during the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Invitational on April 14 at the Delaware Country Club. Makris lead the Cardinals 69 and 71 in his first two rounds. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File

Ball State men’s golf may have finally hit its stride in the fall season. The Cardinals finished the ODU/OBX Intercollegiate 17 shots under par in route to finishing second, 14 shots behind winner Campbell. 

It ties the team’s lowest three round score in relation to par, matching the 2000 team at the Legends of Indiana Intercollegiate.

Ball State head coach Mike Fleck praised his team for being patient, saying that it allowed the team to score well and be able break away from the rest of the field to try and chase down Campbell.

“We were exceptional with our par five scoring as a team, and we were really good at making birdies,” Fleck said. “One of our players were leading most of the scoring categories.”

Ball State converted more birdies than any other team in the tournament, having 65. 

The team also recorded a combined score of 28 shots under par on par 5 holes. Ball State was second in that category, only trailing Campbell.

All five Ball State golfers finished within the top 30, with freshman Jack Cunningham leading the charge tying for fourth. Cunningham finished six shots under par for the tournament, only three shots behind individual winner, Ray Kraivixien from Campbell. Cunningham also sank 14 birdies throughout the three rounds. 

Senior Johnny Watts continued to climb the leaderboard in the final round, shooting another round of 68. Watts Finished two shots under par, tying him for 14th. Watts lead any golfer in the tournament in birdies, sinking 16 in the tournament and seven in the final round.

Senior Michael Makris shared 14th with Watts and three others, turning in a round of 70 on the day. Makris also sank 14 birdies through three rounds, matching teammate Jack Cunningham. 

Senior Michael VanDeventer also climbed the leaderboard, shooting a 68 today to end up tied for 19th. Junior Timothy Wiseman finished up the Cardinal scoring, ending tied for 29th.

Ball State will have to capitalize on their momentum quickly, as only one tournament remains for the Cardinals in their fall season. However, Fleck seems to think that won’t be a problem.

“This performance will give them some confidence,” Fleck said. “We’ll put in a good week of preparation, and finish the fall off strong in Hawaii with another competitive field.” 

The men’s golf team will take this weekend off before heading to Hawaii to end their fall season. They compete at the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic in Lahaina, Hawaii Nov. 3- 5.