Watts leads men's golf to fourth place at EKU Intercollegiate

Senior Johnny Watts waits his turn to hit the ball at the start of hole 12 during the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Invitational on April 14 at the Delaware Country Club. The Cardinals placed second at the invitational. Kaiti Sullivan, DN

Top Teams

1. Eastern Kentucky, 837 (-3): 284-278-275

2. Longwood, 849 (+9): 290-281-278

3. Dayton, 853 (+13): 287-281-285

4. Ball State, 854 (+14): 278-288-28

5. William & Mary, 855 (+15): 282-286-287

Ball State men’s golf finished fourth at the Eastern Kentucky Intercollegiate Sunday, after falling two spots in the final round.

The Cardinals shot a three-round score of 854, 14 shots over par at the University Club at Arlington. Ball State finished one shot behind third place Dayton, and 17 shots behind winner and host Eastern Kentucky.

Senior Johnny Watts led Ball State, finishing third, shooting three under par in at 207 for the weekend. 

Watts was tied for the individual lead heading into Sunday’s final round, but fell to third after having bogeys on the ninth and 10th holes. Watts finished six strokes behind the individual winner, Longwood’s Jordan Bolton.  

Ball State placed three other golfers in the top 30, as senior Michael VanDeventer tied for 24th (+5), and junior Timothy Wiseman and freshman Jack Cunningham tied for 30th (+6). 

Senior Michael Makris wrapped up the scorecard for Ball State with an 87th place finish, shooting 25 over par. Redshirt junior Colin Proctor also competed this weekend, but as an individual. Proctor finished 86th, shooting 23 over par.   

The Cardinals will look to build on their fourth place finish next weekend, as they compete in SMU’s Trinity Forrest Invitational in Dallas.