Softball opens fall schedule at State of Indiana Tournament

Head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett talks with junior second baseman Maddy Labrador before her turn at bat during the second game of the double-header against Northern Illinois on April 4 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Ball State won 6-4. Emma Rogers // DN File

Ball State softball opens its eight-game fall schedule this Sunday with a trip to Westfield, Indiana to take on IUPUI and Western Kentucky in the State of Indiana Tournament.

The fall schedule does not count toward official statistics or records, but it is a chance for head coach Megan Ciolli Barlett to get to see the team play against other schools and other players.

This weekend's doubleheader also serves as the first coaching opportunities for assistant coach Mitch Roberts and volunteer assistant Rachel Houck, who led the Cardinals with a .319 batting average last season as a senior.

Four of Ball State's eight fall games will be played in Muncie. On Sept. 23, the Cardinals play a doubleheader versus Trine University and Fort Wayne. On Sept. 30, they host Huntington University and Lakeland Community College. 

The Cardinals will finish the fall season with a trip to Notre Dame on Oct. 1 to play a pair of games against the Fighting Irish.

The first game versus IUPUI begins at 11 a.m. on Sunday, followed by a game against Western Kentucky at 1 p.m.