Senior trio leads golf into final round at Trinity Forest

<p>Junior Michael VanDeventer talks with head coach Mike Fleck during the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Tournament at the Delaware Country Club on April 15. VanDeventer finished tied for first individually with a 2-under-par 208. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File</p>

Junior Michael VanDeventer talks with head coach Mike Fleck during the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Tournament at the Delaware Country Club on April 15. VanDeventer finished tied for first individually with a 2-under-par 208. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File

Team Scores

T1. Auburn, 560 (-8): 278-282

T1. Florida, 560 (-8): 275-285

3. North Texas, 564 (-4): 283-281

4. USC, 566 (-2): 282-284

5. Oregon, 567 (-1): 283-284

Seniors Michael Makris, Johnny Watts and Michael VanDeventer all are tied for 37th place at three over par headed into tomorrow’s final round at the SMU National Invitational.

Makris entered Monday's round with a 71, while Watts joined VanDeventer in shooting a 74 as Ball State turned in a team-round of 293 (+9). 

Ball State currently sits in 11th of 13 teams, 13 shots over par and are 21 shots behind leaders Florida and Auburn (-8). However, the deficit on the leaderboard does not reflect the quality of play the Cardinals have had, as eight of the teams were ranked in the top-25 last season, and six of the teams played in the 2017 NCAA Nationals. 

Both Makris and Watts totaled five birdies in today’s round. However, it was Watts’s middle four holes which set him behind Makris, shooting six over par in that stretch.

Junior Timothy Wiseman sits tied for 47th through two, after also shooting a 74 today and having a two-round total of four shots over par. Freshman Jack Cunningham is 76th, shooting 14 over par through two rounds.

While sitting 11th in the team standings, Ball State (+13) does have a chance to improve its overall placement in the final round, as SMU (+10), Iowa (+8) and Clemson (+7) are within reach of the Cardinals.

Ball State will be grouped with 10th place SMU and 12th place Kansas State in tomorrow’s final round. The group starts off the 10th tee at 10:20 ET.

Contact Ben Schueren with comments at bpschueren@bsu.edu or on twitter @NLISports_Ben.