Professor awarded faculty fellowship to launch new course

Kiesha Warren-Gordon. Ball State University, Photo Provided

Kiesha Warren-Gordon, an associate professor of criminal justice and criminology in her ninth year at Ball State, was granted a faculty fellowship to launch a new course — Human Services in Criminal Justice.

The course will teach students how social service agencies collaborate with individuals in the justice system or those at risk of being in the system. 

In addition to the $3,750 grant from Indiana Campus Compact, the university will add $1,250. 

After interviewing members of the Whitley community to identify their particular needs, the students will analyze their findings and present them to the community. 

"The Whitely community is made up of over 1,500 residents in the city of Muncie," Warren-Gordon said in a press release. "The neighborhood has been overwhelmed with crime, unemployment, and a lack of trust in social service agency support. Working with the Whitley Community Council will allow students to develop a hands-on understanding of the relationship between individual problems and social issues and how social service agencies can help people who are at risk of committing crimes and those who have committed crimes and are under the supervision of the criminal justice system."