iPhone X: Specs and details

The iPhone X. Apple’s latest foray into high-performance hardware. After a litany of iPhones all bearing incremental numbers, Apple has decided to skip the iPhone 9 and reveal the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X (pronounced “iPhone ten”) at the same time.

While many have anticipated the iPhone to follow up the incredibly popular iPhone 7, all eyes are now trained on the iPhone X. It’s an impressive phone, but sometimes things can get a bit complicated when looking at the hardware. This article is going to break down what’s new about the X and what it means for you.

Edge to edge screen: Unlike previous iPhone the X features a screen that takes up almost all of the phone’s 5.8-inch front. Besides the front speaker and front camera, it’s all touchscreen – even the home button. This could make navigation a bit easier on your thumbs, but a digital home button could pose problems should your screen crack.

OLED screen: Apple’s Retina display is still being used, but this time it’s being put on an OLED screen. Nothing super fancy about it, but it means brighter colors, higher brightness and better looking contrast compared to previous phones.

The camera: X is sporting new cameras this time around, both in look and features. The front camera has facial-recognition software, which replaces Apple’s Touch ID, and enables the phone’s Animoji feature. The back camera is getting an upgrade too. It still shoots in 4k resolution and at 60 frames a second. Slow motion and time lapse make a return as well. But now the back camera is vertical, instead of horizontal as on previous models.

Face ID: It’s replacing the old Touch ID, and there doesn’t seem to be an option to bring it back. There’s not much information on the new feature, other than Apple’s claims that it’s pretty secure.

Glass back: Pretty self explanatory, the back of the phone is glass now. Whether or not it’s as strong as the metal from previous models remains to be seen (but I’ve got a feeling it’ll be seen pretty quickly).

Wireless charging: In addition to the new glass back, the iPhone X supports wireless charging. The lightning cable is still there, so they’re not forcing wirelessness just yet. Buying the phone also doesn’t give you the wireless charger; it’s a separate investment (though just how much hasn’t been announced).

Odds and ends: X is getting all the standard upgrades you’d expect from a new phone: faster processor, smarter software, battery lasts longer and for the first time, an Apple GPU (as opposed to third party). Storage sizes for the phone are 64 and 256 gigabytes.

Price: The iPhone X is retailing for $999, a pretty steep price point compared to other models like the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus which will debut at $699 and $799 respectively. Luckily, the pair of earphones it comes with are made to connect with the lightning port, not a 3.5mm jack. So there’s that, at least.

That pretty much sums up all you need to know about Apple’s newest flagship phone. The iPhone X drops Oct 27 (and will probably be dropped 20 minutes after that).

Source: Apple

Images: The Verge

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Byte Bsu!