High School Game of the Week - Week 5: Muncie Central vs. Indianapolis Arsenal Tech

Hosts Josh Shelton and Robby General go through some of the biggest games going around in the Delaware County area heading into week five as well as the Game of the Week – Muncie Central (1-3) vs. Indianapolis Arsenal Tech (1-3). 

The two enter week five with losses in North Central Football Conference play and are looking for a win at the midway point of the football season. See more coverage of high school sports by Da sCoop's staff via BallStateDaily.com.

Week 5 previews

New Castle (2-2) vs. Yorktown (2-2)

Yorktown is on a two game skid after opening up the season 2-0 while New Castle is 1-1 in the Hoosier Heritage Conference entering this game.

Regardless, it's a big game for both of these teams who enter week five with identical overall records and are vying for a better standing in the conference. 

New Castle is coming off of a big 44-21 win over Shelbyville who was undefeated going into last weeks game. In that matchup the Trojan's senior quarterback Niah Williamson threw for six touchdown passes and racked up 420 yards through the air.

It will be interesting to see how Yorktown's defense handles the pass-heavy attack of New Castle on the road.

Delta (3-1) vs. Mt. Vernon (1-3)

After losing to Shelbyville by a score in week three, Delta came back in a big way with a 42-12 win over Yorktown last week.

Led behind the rushing attack of Charlie Spegal, who ran for 340 yards and six touchdowns in the game, Delta cruised past their Delaware County rival. On the season, Spegal now has 1,141 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns.

While Delta has a rush heavy offense, the opposite can be said about Mt. Vernon who averages 29 yards on the ground this season.

Wes-Del (1-3) at South Adams (4-0)

When looking at the records, this game looks like it is going to be an easy win for South Adams.

But while the Starfires do rank 12 in its class, the Warriors from Wes-Del are a much better team than their record shows. In the past two weeks, Wes-Del has lost by eight and six points, respectively. Its week one loss to Alexandria-Monroe was its biggest loss of the season – 13 points.

Wes-Del will be led by senior quarterback Camden Townsend who leads his team in both rushing (134) and passing (459) yards this season. South Adams is coming off of a 48-3 win of Heritage and will likely remain balanced on offense as they have accumulated 660 rushing yards and 731 passing yards this season.

Monroe Central (4-0) vs. Tri Central (2-2)

This season, Monroe Central has given up a combined 12 points total. On the flip side, the Golden Bears have put up 156 combined points throughout their first four games of the season.

Monroe Central's powerful attack comes from a trio of running backs who all have over 100 yards thus far and a passing attack led by senior Casey Conatser, who has 701 passing yards on the season.

Tri Central is a run heavy team, etching out Monroe Central by two rushing yards per game with its average of 209.

Game of the Week: Muncie Central (1-3) vs. Indianapolis Arsenal Tech (1-3)

Last week, Muncie Central got its first win of the season over North Central Conference rival Richmond 56-14. That came after two single score losses to Yorktown (week two) and Anderson (week three). 

Indianapolis Arsenal Tech also only has one win on the season, and that's also against Richmond in week three, where the Titans dominated 37-0.

It should be an interesting game to watch as a win tonight can push either of these teams in the top half of the North Central Conference, as eight teams have 1-1 conference records.

On offense, Muncie Central's dynamic quarterback duo of junior Cam Gillentine and senior Eliseus Young, who is also a starting receiver, may cause issues for Arsenal Tech's secondary.

The same dynamic attack could be said for Arsenal Tech's running game which is led by the "two-headed monster" attack according to head coach Tony Henderson.

See the full preview here: