Freshmen Justin Hall and Caleb Huntley record first collegiate touchdowns in 51-31 win over UAB

Justin Hall

94  receiving yards

8 carries

1 touchdown

longest- 25 yards

Caleb Huntley

89 rushing yards

10 rushing attempts

1 touchdown

longest- 52 yards

A pair of true freshmen scored their first career touchdowns in Ball State's 51-31 win over Alabama-Birmingham Saturday.

Wide receiver Justin Hall scored on a 12-yard reception and running back Caleb Huntley scored on a 52-yard run.

"It was surreal," Hall said. "I've been thinking about this moment since I was a little boy. Dreams actually do come true. [When Huntley got his] I felt like I got mine, I was so happy for him."

Hall led the Cardinals (1-1) in receiving yards and Huntley led in rushing yards. Hall finished the game with 94 receiving yards on eight catches, and went long for 25 yards.

Huntley finished the game with 89 rushing yards on 10 carries. 

"We definitely feed off each other," Huntley said. "If he breaks a big one, I'll be like, 'Hey, it's your time,' and same with me. If I break off a big one, I'll be like, 'Let's go, let's get it.' We're like brothers already and we really just met this summer."

After playing their first game in a Ball State jersey last weekend on the road against Illinois, head coach Mike Neu said "the stage is not too big for them" after what he saw today.

"The look in their eyes on the sidelines and throughout the course of the game, I just love the look," Neu said. "The look is, 'I want the ball, I want to be in a position when the game's on the line and want to be in a position to make a play when my team needs me.' I love that look. Those guys are tough and love to compete."

The duo proved their competitiveness today, staying consistent through the entirety of the game.

Both Atlanta natives, Hall and Huntley have created a friendly competition. The two challenge each other and build off of each other's momentum while on the sidelines.

"We definitely have a bond," Hall said. "After he makes a big play, I'm always out there trying to root for him and hype him up. If I have a big play, he's out there and coach is trying to hold him back and tell him, 'No, no, no, don't run on the field!'"

Aside from the freshmen's touchdowns, the Cardinals put up five more touchdowns and a field goal to lift them over the Blazers. 

Redshirt sophomore tight end Danny Pinter also recorded his first collegiate touchdown after catching a 15-yard pass to the end zone. 

"These guys are tough and I'm glad that they're on our football team," Neu said. "I know that those guys love to compete and I can't wait to get back out and get our preparation started for Tennessee Tech."