Chairperson Emeritus dies

<p>David Ober worked in the Department of Physics and Astronomy for 39 years, spending 16 of those years as the department chairperson. <strong>Photo provided</strong></p>

David Ober worked in the Department of Physics and Astronomy for 39 years, spending 16 of those years as the department chairperson. Photo provided

On Thursday, the university sent out an email informing students that David Ober, chairperson emeritus, died Wednesday. 

Ober worked in the Department of Physics and Astronomy for 39 years, spending 16 of those years as the department chairperson.

During his time at Ball State, Ober was a part of research projects such as, “ISTEP Exams: Leveling the Playing Field by Controlling for Demographics and Changing Student Demographics.” 

He also presented at the 2011 spring meeting for the American Association of Physics Teachers. Ober aided in presenting “MPG Equivalent Economy Labels for New Electric Vehicles” and “Detection in Muncie, Indiana, of the Fukushima Nuclear Reactor Releases Following the Japanese Earthquake.”

In addition to his university career, Ober was involved in the Muncie and surrounding Yorktown, Indiana community. 

He served on the board of the Ball State Federal Credit Union, the Mount Pleasant Township School Board, the Purdue Club of Muncie, Muncie Kiwanis and United Way. 

Services will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday, in Yorktown United Methodist Church, 2301 S. Broadway St., Yorktown. 

Visitation will be from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at The Meeks Mortuary & Crematory, 415 E. Washington St., Muncie. Visitation will also be held one hour before services Sunday in Yorktown United Methodist Church. 

Memorials may be made to Ball State University Foundation, Physics and Astronomy Fund, P.O. Box 672, Muncie, Indiana 47308 or Yorktown United Methodist Church, 2301 S. Broadway St., Yorktown, IN 47396.

Online condolences may be sent to www.meeksmortuary.com.