Ball State student Tyler Hostetler honored as Colts Anthem Angel

<p>Sunday, senior nursing major Tyler Hostetler will be recognized as an Anthem Angel at the Colts game for his work with Riley Children's Hospital. He has raised $4,000 for Riley through magic and fundraising. <strong>Tyler Hostetler, Photo Provided&nbsp;</strong></p>

Sunday, senior nursing major Tyler Hostetler will be recognized as an Anthem Angel at the Colts game for his work with Riley Children's Hospital. He has raised $4,000 for Riley through magic and fundraising. Tyler Hostetler, Photo Provided 

When Tyler Hostetler’s older sister Allison was diagnosed with a brain tumor in eighth grade, he was introduced to Riley Children’s Hospital – a first impression he’ll never forget. 

“I think all that whole experience has just really kind of been the inspiration and motivation to say, ‘Tyler, you’re going to be a nurse, you’re going to hopefully work at Riley some day and you’re going to help save lives,’” Hostetler said. 

Hostetler, now a nursing major, has been interested in the medical field ever since, especially at Riley.

For the past couple of years, Hostetler has used magic not only as a fundraising method, but as a way to connect with children who are in the hospital. 

He hosts free shows and any donations go toward Riley Children’s Hospital. He raised $4,000 for Riley through magic and his work with Ball State’s chapter of Riley Dance Marathon. 

“It's [BSUDM] just been an outlet to kind of be a part of something bigger than myself and really make a difference. It’s been something that has really influenced what I do,” Hostetler said. 

Sunday he will be recognized at the Colts game for his work with Riley as a part of the Anthem Angels program. The program “honors community members who have been 'First Respondents' in outstanding service to the community through their civil or public service profession,” according to the Colts website. 

Hostetler will graduate in May as the president of his class, his end goal is to specialize or work in pediatrics.