8 signs you're a natural resources major

Recycling is of big importance to natural resource majors. They also have a love for outdoors, dirt and following issues in areas of land. Stephanie Amador, DN

1. Your love for the outdoors reaches the same level of a Disney Princess.

“I love to be outdoors in the woods, water and prairies or anywhere outside. I love digging in the soil and finding out what lives there. The insects and other creatures are very interesting to me.”  – Emily Placke, a graduate student

2. Dirt is your new best friend, whether you like it or not.

“You have a special pair of boots just for field work. There’s always dirt on your papers.”  – Jennifer Loyal, senior

3. You notice specific issues in areas of land. 

“Growing up on a farm, I know more about crops, vegetation, trees, forestry and waterways. I can tell when a field’s bad. That makes me angry, like (if) there’s a lot of weeds in it, the waterways need mowed, all that fun stuff.”  – Allison Bolser, sophomore

4. It’s a small world.

“[You’re] not able to skip your classes because everybody knows you.”  – Lacey Humphrey, senior

5. You have to ask what a "normal" class schedule looks like.

“Your schedule is set up different than everyone else you know due to all the labs that accompany almost all your classes. You have to hope and pray that the department will offer the class you need sometime before you graduate.”  – Loyal

6. You hate when people litter.

“When people dump things in the drains that goes in our water, that angers me. It should anger everybody. We care more about how our natural resources are used so they’re not wasted. When people litter, like when I’m walking to class and I see trash on the side of the road, it drives me crazy.”  – Bolser

7. The West Quad. Enough said.

“[You’re] living in West Quad and answering to every ‘Where’s West Quad?’ question from non-NREM students.”  – Humphrey

8. RECYCLING.

“Recycling, that’s a big one. If when we don’t recycle it just goes to a landfill, and we’re hurting the Earth more, but when we do recycle, it gets made into other things so it doesn’t necessarily hurt the environment as much as if it was in a landfill.”  – Bolser