UPD continues, launches new community policing programs

<p>Lt. Terrell Smith of the Ball State University Police Department gets dunked by a student at the Dunk-a-Cop event on Aug. 25, 2016 at the Scramble Light. The event donated all proceeds to Riley Hospital for Children. Samantha Brammer // DN&nbsp;</p>

Lt. Terrell Smith of the Ball State University Police Department gets dunked by a student at the Dunk-a-Cop event on Aug. 25, 2016 at the Scramble Light. The event donated all proceeds to Riley Hospital for Children. Samantha Brammer // DN 

Throughout the summer, the Ball State University Police Department has been preparing for students to return through its community policing programs.

In the past couple of months the department went through training, reflecting and evaluating what they could do better in future situations, similar to those like the nerf gun incident in March and the campus-wide lockdown in September last year.   

“You always want to evaluate how you did in the past,” said UPD Chief Jim Duckham. “We are always striving to be efficient and protect the Ball State University campus.”  

Training also included officers discussing what community policing programs went well this past year and what programs they would like to start up in order to “stay fresh.”   

One of the most popular programs that UPD will continue to host is Lunch with a Cop, which gives students an opportunity to sign up to have lunch for free with an officer. The lunches offer students a way to ask questions about how law enforcement works and allows officers and students to form partnerships.    

Originally starting in 2015 as a collaboration between the Student Government Association and UPD, the program has seen an increase in student participation every year. Last school year, 375 students participated and even though classes haven’t started, Lt. Terrell Smith said the department has already received requests.   

Other programs students can expect to see again this year are:   

• Dunk-A-Cop at the Scramble Light August 24 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Students will have the chance to dunk a UPD or Parking Enforcement Officer with all proceeds being donated to Riley Children’s Health. Students can get 3 balls for $1 or an automatic dunk for $5.   
  • Tacos and 5-0s 
  • Burglary Prevention program   
  • Alcohol Awareness program 

UPD will also be trying out some new initiatives this year.

In response to faculty and staff requests, starting this fall, UPD will be assigning officers to monitor and stay in the same buildings across campus everyday. This will be similar to the officer liaison program in the residence halls that was started last year. Both programs are designed to help build connections and feelings of trust with students and officers. 

"It's all about taking care of each other and making those connections," Duckham said. "Seeing the same officer everyday will help students feel more comfortable to come to us if anything happens."

Looking at the program in the residence halls last year, Duckham said he believes the overall initiative across campus will continue to work well.

"We had cases of sexual assault where some survivors have been comfortable enough to reach out to an officer," he said. "That might not have happened before if we didn't have our officers in there getting to really know the students."

For the first time, UPD will also be hosting Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events (CRASE) training for the entire freshman class. 

UPD has hosted training in the past with orientation leaders, RAs and faculty and staff across different departments of the university, showing them how to prepare while also being given options of how to react and respond if they are ever in an active shooter situation. 

“It empowers people because it shows them that if they are even in a situation, they aren’t hopeless,” Duckham said.

Deciding to get the freshman class involved this year was part of the department's goal to reach as many people as it can.

Duckham said UPD is looking forward to the new year and continuing to build relationships with students as part of the department's community policing efforts.

“People come with their own stereotypes, misconceptions, reality of what policing is – I want them to get to know what Ball State policing is," he said. "If you had a negative experience in your community, I want you to have a positive experience. If you had a positive experience in your community, I want you to have a positive experience here as well."

Facts about UPD

• 32 officers work in the department. 
  • The department has one four-legged officer. Meet K9 Fritz.
  • Officers work day, afternoon and midnight shifts with a supervisor always on duty. 
  • The call center (765-285-1111) is open 24/7.

Reach out to the police department  

Have any concerns, tips for how UPD can better connect with Ball State students and/or want to set up an event with UPD? Chief Duckham wants to know. Contact him at 765-285-1832 or at jaduckham@bsu.edu.