Intel CEO resigns from Trump’s Manufacturing Council

Brian Krzanich, the chief executive officer of Intel Corporation, has tendered his resignation from the American Manufacturing Council late Monday. In a public blog post on his company’s website Krzanich wrote, “I resigned because I want to make progress, while many in Washington seem more concerned with attacking anyone who disagrees with them. We should honor – not attack – those who have stood up for equality and other cherished American values. I hope this will change, and I remain willing to serve when it does.”

This is an allusion to President Trump’s response to the events in Charlottesville, Virginia this past weekend when the president denounced “in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides ― on many sides.” His statement drew criticism from Republicans and Democrats alike for its apparent moral equivocation of both sides fighting in Charlottesville.

Brian Krzanich is the third CEO to resign from the American Manufacturing Council in response to the Trump administration’s weak stance against what the Intel CEO described as “white supremacists and their ilk,” joining Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank and Ken Frazier, CEO of the pharmaceutical company Merck.

According to the International Trade Administration website’s page on the American Manufacturing Council, “The Council is charged with ensuring… that the United States remains the preeminent destination for investment in manufacturing throughout the world.” Though Intel has stepped away from the Council, Krzanich wrote that by resigning he hoped he could help make America “… what it still can and should be.”

Other members of the council have likewise spoken out against the violence in Charlottesville, though not all have issued statements concerning the reduction of councilmembers or their continued participation in official council business.

Sources: Intel, Business Insider, USA Today, ITA

Image: Long Room

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Byte Bsu!