Crime Roundup: UPD makes multiple arrests, responds to gas station alert

Corey Ohlenkamp // DN File
Corey Ohlenkamp // DN File

Want to know what crime has been going on in the community this week? The Daily News has you covered.

Thursday, July 20    

A Ball State University police officer arrested a Muncie woman after she attempted to pass nine bad checks at the Ball State Federal Credit Union.    

RELATED: Muncie woman arrested for check fraud at Ball State Credit Union 

Friday, July 21   

Muncie Police responded to Walgreen Pharmacy in the 100 block of E. McGalliard Road around 9:20 p.m. to investigate a robbery.    

Police said an unknown male about six-foot-tall did not display a weapon when he robbed the pharmacy of controlled substances.    

Anyone with information should call investigators with the Muncie Police Department at 765-747-4867.   

Saturday, July 22   

Ball State University Police officers arrested three people for driving while intoxicated between Saturday and Sunday.    

On Saturday, officers made one arrest at 2:30 a.m. in the area of McKinley Ave. and Bowman St.    

At 3:14 a.m., officers arrested another person for driving while intoxicated in the area of McKinley Ave. and Gilbert St.    

On Sunday, officers arrested a person in the area of Wheeling and Cromer Avenues around 2:40 a.m.    

Monday, July 24  

Indiana State Excise Police made numerous arrests and issued citations over the weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.    

Officers arrested or cited 57 minors, 14 adults and six juveniles on 133 charges during Friday and Saturday’s concert festivities. Excise officer made no arrests on race day.    

"Our objective during race weekends and other large events across the state is to help ensure that everyone attending has a safe environment in which to enjoy the festivities,” Superintendent Matt Strittmatter said in a press release. “The combination of alcohol and other intoxicating substances often bring out the worst behavior in people, which can compromise their safety and the safety of others.”   

Some of the charges included possession of false identification, misdemeanor marijuana possession and summonses for illegal possession or consumption of an alcoholic beverage.    

Thursday, July 27 

Police responded to the Marathon Gas Station at Bethel and Tillotson Avenues after reports of a "beeping noise" in a trash can. 

Ball State police, Muncie fire and police departments, Delaware County Sheriff's Office, Emergency Management Agency and the Indiana State police responded to the scene. 

RELATED: Ball State issues information alert of police action on Tillotson and Bethel

Other crime news:   

During the Click It or Ticket enforcement blitz, which took place from May 12 to June 4, law enforcement agencies in Indiana issued over 30,000 tickets and warnings.    

Will Wingfield, the communications director for the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, said officers “worked a total of 10,491 hours, issuing 21,031 citations and 9,066 warnings.”   

Officers issued 13,162 citations for seat-belt violations and 532 citations for child restraints.    

RELATED: Indiana police promote driving safety through "Click it or Ticket" campaign