ORIENTATION GUIDE: No car? No problem

Editors note: Every year, The Daily News produces the orientation guide for incoming freshman. This story first appeared in The Cardinal Field Guide printed in May 2017. To read the full issue, click here.

Muncie may seem like a car-centric city, but transportation alternatives exist to help students travel places on and off-campus.

Muncie Indiana Transit System (MITS)

Four MITS routes run through campus:

• Ball State University
  • Ball State Jackson
  • Riverside/Rural King
  • Wal-Mart

You can access the Muncie Mall by traveling on one of these routes to Downtown and transferring to Route 4.

The MITS is free for students with ID. Food and drink (including cups with a lid) are not allowed on the bus.

MITS routes and schedules are built into Google Maps. You can get on the MITS at any intersection along the route, as long as the intersection does not have a right-turn only lane.

The buses don’t run on Sunday and have a limited schedule on Saturday. You can track schedules in real time with the MITS TIME app.

BSU Shuttle

Download the Transloc Rider app to track Ball State shuttles in real-time.

There are three routes:

• Red loop, which goes from the L.A. Pittenger Student Center to the north commuter lot.
  • Green loop, which goes from the L.A. Pittenger Student Center to the stadium.
  • Blue loop, a seasonal route that goes clockwise around McKinley, Neely, Linden and Riverside.

Biking

Some Muncie streets have bike lanes, but most do not. It’s illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk.

Bikes can park for free on-campus. You may register a bike with the University Police Department, which can help the police locate the bike in the event it is stolen.