ORIENTATION GUIDE: In case of emergency

Editors note: Every year, The Daily News produces the orientation guide for incoming freshman. This story first appeared in The Cardinal Field Guide printed in May 2017. To read the full issue, click here.

Who do you call when you have a problem? The Office of Victim Services and University Police exist to help you out when you need it.

What to they do?

University Police ensures student safety at campus-sanctioned events, police campus and releases an annual safety report.

UPD ensures students are aware of their rights. Did you know a warrant isn’t required for conducting a search?

"We can stop somebody if we have reasonable suspicion, which is lower than probable cause, you know, to investigate if a crime has been occurred or is occurring,” said University Police Department Chief James Duckham.

In the dorms

Every residence hall on campus has an assigned UPD officer to be a go-to person for the hall, help students move in and encourage a positive relationship with UPD.

“The goal is allowing students to get to know you in a non-traditional law enforcement role. So that you’re not just the officer that came and took your police report, or the officer that came because you had a problem," Duckham said.

Officers hold events like Lunch with a Cop and their annual Dunk-A-Cop contest at the Scramble Light. 

Victim services

UPD has teamed up with the Office of Victim Services, also known as OVS. The service is housed in the Health Center and is outsourced to Ball Memorial and UPD. A victim advocate is someone who supports victims through providing emotional support, guidance and assistance.

"It’s important for students who have become a victim to have a voice and know that they have someone there for them,” OVS victim advocate Allison Wynbissbinger said.

Wynbissbinger is Ball State’s victim advocate, but she also trains students on how to be peer victim advocates.

Victim advocacy doesn’t mean the same thing for every student, Wynbissbinger said.

“Every person is different and has individual needs as far as support, help and assistance goes,” she said in a March 2017 interview. “While one survivor may desire to be surrounded by family or friends, another may prefer to spend time alone or with another individual.”

Students in need of support services can visit OVS in the Health Center located on Neely Avenue.